The following is shared with you to help you in your own praying and interceding.
These are prayer directions rather than prayer points.
We want to leave room for the Holy Spirit to lead you and your group to pray as you are led.
If you would like to receive these Prayer Directions regularly, or
If at any time you want to be removed from the list, please write us at:
Israel has had an astoundingly successful week. The successful attack on Iranian assets in Syria, Trump's announcement that the US is pulling out of the nuclear agreement with Iran, and Bibi Netanyahu's successful trip to Moscow.
But the central drama and focus are Jerusalem.
In a few days, the US will move its embassy to Jerusalem. A Palestinian pastor told me just yesterday that Abbas is encouraging the street to riot; indeed some rioting and trouble has already begun in the Bethlehem area.
At the same time Hamas is building up more violent protests in Gaza, near the fence. The goal is to break through the fence into Israel by the thousands. The same day is also the beginning of Ramadan and Nakbah Day (see the previous update).
But far more ominous is the possible division of Jerusalem. The rumors are (in the newspapers) that Trump's peace plan requires that israel relinquish four Arab neighborhoods in East Jerusalem to the Palestinian Authority, and that the Old City would come under International oversight.
The idea of placing the Old City under international supervision and management is not new. It was suggested in the UN partition plan in 1947, it was brought up again after the war in 1949, but it was vigorously resisted by Ben Gurion and Israel's then government. He said: "At the same time, we see it our duty to declare that Jewish Jerusalem is an organic and inseparable part of the State of Israel, as it is an inseparable part of the history and religion of Israel and the soul of our people." He further stressed: "But we cannot conceive that the United Nations will try to tear Jerusalem from Israel or to impair the sovereignty of Israel in its Eternal Capital.1
Jerusalem is the very heart of the State of Israel. To the Jewish people, the Old City of Jerusalem IS Jerusalem; this is the high drama that is unfolding.
Praying for Jerusalem
We prayed along three lines:
Psalm 132 - Zion's God and His eternal plan for her
Zechariah 12:6 - Zion's people and their restoration to her
Psalm 129:5-6 - Zion's enemies and God's dealing with them
Psa. 132:13-14 For the LORD has chosen Zion; He has desired it for His dwelling place: “This is My resting place forever; Here I will dwell, for I have desired it.
We prayed into God's eternal purposes for Jerusalem:
- The Lord has purposed to rule and reign over the earth from Jerusalem
- The Lord has purposed to shine the light of salvation again from Jerusalem (Isa 62:1-2)
- The Lord has purposed to declare His Word again from Jerusalem (Isaiah 2:1-4)
- The Lord has purposed to judge the nations from Jerusalem (see Isa. 2)
- The Lord has purposed to to bring peace to the world through this judgment (see Isaiah 2)
- The Lord has purposed to bring healing to the nations from Jerusalem (see Ezekiel 47:12, Revelation 22:2)
- The Lord has purposed to dwell with His people in Jerusalem (Eze 37:26-27)
Zech. 12:6 In that day I will make the governors of Judah like a firepan in the woodpile, and like a fiery torch in the sheaves; they shall devour all the surrounding peoples on the right hand and on the left, but Jerusalem shall be inhabited again in her own place—Jerusalem.
What a wonderful chapter is Zechariah 12! It includes a clear statement that Jerusalem is the real Jerusalem located where it has always been. That her inhabitants are the Jewish people, and that God will save them, reveal His Son to them and will deal with their enemies. All this in 14 verses.
- We prayed for the restoration of the Jewish people to the land and the city
- We stood on the promises of God regarding the Jewish people and the city
- We prayed for the outpouring of the Spirit of Grace and Supplication to fall in Jerusalem
- We prayed for the revelation of Yeshua the Messiah, Son of God and Son of David, the rightful heir to the throne in the midst of Israel
- We prayed for an outbreak of salvation in the land
- We prayed for Israel to be released from all religion and the ancient, awful resistance to her King and Messiah
- We prayed for the leadership to be given wisdom, authority, and strength to defend Jerusalem and keep it from being divided
- We prayed for the presence of God to be restored to His people and city
Psa. 129:5 Let all those who hate Zion Be put to shame and turned back. Psa. 129:6 Let them be as the grass on the housetops, Which withers before it grows up,
- We prayed into the danger of Iran in Syria
- We prayed into the danger of Hezbollah in Lebanon
- We prayed into the ongoing "March of Return" Gaza especially in light of the 14th of May, which is the most dangerous day in this whole thing.
- We prayed for Israel to be a new threshing instrument (Isaiah 41:15) [This was before the attack, that took place the very night we prayed]
- We prayed into Zechariah 12:9 realizing that the nations that so vehemently desire to destroy Israel are coming against His purposes and plan for the entire earth.
- We prayed for the confusion and division of the enemies of Israel
- We prayed their resources will dry up
- We prayed for the Lord to free Iran from the Ayatollah's regime
Blessings from Jerusalem,