The following is shared with you to help you in your own praying and interceding.
These are prayer directions rather than prayer points.
We want to leave room for the Holy Spirit to lead you and your group to pray as you are led.
If you would like to receive these Prayer Directions regularly, or
If at any time you want to be removed from the list, please write us at:
Luke 21:25 "And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring;
Luke 21:26 men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken."
We were sent a very appropriate message, by David Wilkerson, spoken or written in 1998. Although the circumstances are not exactly the same, and the threat then was economical only, its message is clear: Are you given over to God in every way? As David writes: "True freedom from fear consists of totally resigning one's life into the hands of the Lord."
You can read it here: http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/1990s/ts981026.html
Blessing - Yes, Commitment - No? (Where is the hiding place?)
Too often, many of God's people expect His benefits, and promises to be fulfilled in their life, but without living in a genuinely resigned or consecrated way at all.
The word "if" appears ten times in John 15; four times, it is a conjunction introducing a conditional clause. (John 15:6,7 10, 14)
Let us put it in the positive light it is given in that chapter because it is actually an invitation and wisdom given by the Lord. Yeshua is giving us the understanding we need so that we might share in the fullness of His life.
John 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
John 15:5 "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
John 15:6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
EBC comments on it thus: "Jesus is setting before us the prospect of the mutual indwelling of Jesus and those who will abide in him. So central is this mutual indwelling to what it means to be a Christian that Temple (name of commentator quoted by the one writing this -- OA) can say, "Whatever leads to this is good; whatever hinders this is bad; whatever does not bear on this is futile."
"……or believers to bear fruit, they must remain in Christ. All spiritual power for living out the Christian life comes from God. There is only one way for a believer to receive this power, namely, to remain in unbroken fellowship with the source of power. Paul pictures the relationship in terms of a spiritual death and resurrection: "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me" (Gal 2:20). (1)
What an invitation from Messiah! how few there be that avail themselves of pursuing such an abiding! Is it not time, dear friend, that we quit our friendship with the world and enter our true hiding place, the secret place of the most high? (Psalm 91:1)
It is there and only there that we shall experience the fullness of the life described in Psalm 46
Too, loving Him with one's whole heart is directly related to loving others as He loved us. Our challenge at times like these (and is always) is to think communally and not selfishly. The panic-shopping in Israel, has demonstrated this quite clearly. The atmosphere of everyone-for-himself is growing in the land. May we in the Body of Messiah rise to the challenge and live with a communal mindset.
Praying during this time of challenge
Pray for your country:
Obviously, your country needs your prayers at this time, more than ever! It is the believers' moment to intercede.
- For the proper handling of this crisis in your country, beyond any other consideration (Political, economical, social, etc…)
- For the medical teams that are dealing with an overwhelming situation at the hospitals
- For those who have contracted the virus
- For those who are suffering economically, (massive loss of jobs)
- For the poor and needy who have no cushion against such times as these
- For a greater openness to the claims of the Lord, and for the spread of the gospel
- For the Church - that this might be a great wake up call to seriousness with Messiah (not only for its own sake but for the sake of the nation you live in. Only when those around you see a genuine life-testimony to the claims of Messiah, will they even be challenged to consider it
Praying for Israel
Israel has taken some stringent measures. People on all incoming flights from anywhere are now to quarantine themselves for 2 weeks. Schools and universities are closed, gatherings are limited to 100 people.
- For the government to make decisions based on the welfare of the people
- For balanced decision making without regard to politics
- For our medical teams (over 900 are in isolation right now)
- For the nation to respond without panic or fear
- For communal thinking (people are panic-shopping, leaving little for others)
- For the Lord to intervene in Israel's situation and bring a stop to the virus' advance
- For our economy (many people have lost and will lose their jobs)
- For the poor in the land and those who are vulnerable
- For the Body of Messiah in the Land, that it might shine with the gospel (not in words only but with the testimony of life)
Praying for a possible Emergency Unity Government in Israel
There are now talks on the way of setting up an emergency unity government.
Read here. This, in my opinion, will be very good. We need a stable, united government that represents the whole nation. Maybe the virus will do what no one else has been able to, and that is to give us a government (at last!) that will be good for the whole nation.
Praying for the Messianic Body
This emergency situation is proving to be a challenge to the leadership in the land; it has created pressure on the pastors. Some of our people are very fearful and even panicky, others are careless and don't really show concern for others. As leaders, we have a need to find the Lord, to see the 'big picture" from God's point of view, to enter a place of faith and trust, to receive wisdom to know how to handle situations, to know how and when to suspend activities, how to lead our people to prayer and intercession. As leaders, we need to be men of God who stand before Him for the nation and for our congregations.
- Please pray for the congregations with the various needs that this situation is presenting
- Please pray for the congregational leadership - for wisdom, faith, trust and sensitivity both to the Lord and to the people
- Please pray for believers in the land to awaken by this the claims of Messiah on their life
- Please pray for a great response of people to the call for prayer and intercession
- Please pray for God's grace in provision for the congregations and for the people
- Please pray for the Lord's hand on the Body to keep in in health — that it might respond in worship, devotion, prayer and love to God and to each other
Let us give our all to Him who is worthy to receive our heart's complete attention, love, devotion, and service.
Blessings from Jerusalem,
1. Expositor Bible Commentary, Robert Mounce Volume 10, pg. 575