The following is shared with you to help you in your own praying and interceding.
These are prayer directions rather than prayer points.
We want to leave room for the Holy Spirit to lead you and your group to pray as you are led.
If you would like to receive these Prayer Directions regularly, or
If at any time you want to be removed from the list, please write us at:
It is clear from scriptures such as the one above, that Jerusalem is not only the capital of Israel, but is to be the seat of Messiah from which judge all that opposes Him, and from where He will rule the earth.
Jerusalem, therefore, symbolizes the entire work of God on the earth. Indeed, in Revelation we read of the New Jerusalem the City of God, coming down from heaven, and is to be the dwelling of God with His people.
Babylon, on the other hand, represents the world city, which encompasses fallen mankind and the fullness of resistance to God's work on the earth. (Read Isaiah 13-14 for instance). Therefore When we pray for Jerusalem, we pray with this in mind; for the entire plan of God and the final victorious outcome.
We prayed for Jerusalem along three lines: He will defend Jerusalem, He will build Jerusalem, and He will save Jerusalem.
Is. 31:5 As birds flying, so will the LORD of hosts defend Jerusalem; defending also he will deliver it, and passing over he will preserve it.
Zech. 12:8 In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them.
For a most remarkable account of a fulfillment of the verse in Isaiah, spoken 2600 years before it took place, read at the end of this Prayer Blog.
We only share it as an example of the utter reliability of the Word of God, and to strengthen our determination to pray the scriptures, even though we do not know precisely how the Lord will fulfill such verses in our own times. Our hearts are not drawn to miracles but to God Himself.
- We prayed that God would defend Jerusalem politically from being divided
- We prayed that God will defend Jerusalem militarily - there is Iran and Hamas and all the Islamic Jihadi elements who have vowed to come to pray in Jerusalem, meaning the destruction of Israel as a nation
- We prayed for the Lord to defend Jerusalem spiritually from all the many confusing, religious forces opposing it (See Isaiah 24:19-23)
- We prayed into the peace plan, about to be unveiled, that the US will not go the way of all the nations which have dealt with Jerusalem before.
- We prayed that the US will recognize the claim of God on this city and His will that it be the capital of Israel
Psa. 102:16 When the LORD shall build up Zion, he shall appear in his glory.
See context: Psalm 102:13-16 The physical building up of Zion will cause the nations to fear the name of the Lord, it is a precursor to the manifestation of His Glory (is it at His coming?)
- We prayed for the Lord to arise and have compassion on Zion (Ps 102:13)
- We prayed for the grace of God to be poured out on Jerusalem as its being built
- We prayed for favor upon the building up of the city
- We prayed for the building up of the city to be a proof of His Word being fulfilled and thus bring the fear of the Lord upon the nations (especially on the western nations that seem to be post-Christian at present).
Psa. 69:35 For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that they may dwell there, and have it in possession. Psa. 69:36 The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love his name shall dwell therein.
Salvation in these verses is both physical (the cities of Judah have come to life from the ruins), and spiritual - they that love His name will dwell in her. (See also Ezekiel 36:33)
- We prayed for the Lord to physically save and bring back to life the cities and the ruins and all that has been destroyed. (See Ezekiel 36:33-36)
- We prayed for a mighty work of God to cleanse His people and save them.
- We prayed for the day in which Israel will be reconciled to her God, and to her Savior
- We prayed for the day in which the streets will be full of those who praise the Lord, and for the day in which the name Yeshua will be esteemed and not used as a curse.
- We prayed for the Spirit of Repentance, the Spirit of Grace and Supplication to come upon His city and His land.
We are adjured by the Lord to flee Babylon and come out of her. How should we flee Babylon seeing as the city represents the whole work of the enemy and fallen mankind? The answer must be: To take Babylon out of us and to come more fully into the Lord Himself. The process is the application of the cross and the finished work of God, to our hearts and lives.
- We prayed for the Lord to remove the world spirit from the Body of Messiah
- We prayed for the Lord to remove the world's methods from the Body of Messiah
- We prayed for the Lord to remove infidelity to Him out of His Body
- We prayed for the Lord to cleanse His believing people with the blood from dead works -- see Hebrews 9:14
- We prayed for His Body to be built as a habitation for the Spirit - 1Pe 2:5
- We prayed for God's people to find the Book again as Josiah did (2Chro 34:14-15)
- We prayed for the Spirit of repentance to invade the Body of Messiah
- We prayed for all that is Babylon in the Body to be destroyed by the Lord
The remarkable deliverance of Jerusalem in fulfillment of Isaiah 31:5 in 1917
"When the British forces had come within striking distance of Jerusalem and were coming under fire from Turkish batteries within the city, Allenby did not want to return fire because he believed that it was unworthy of Christian Britain to fire on the Holy City. He cabled Prime Minister Lloyd George for instructions. George replied that the Cabinet was leaving him free to do whatever he thought best. Not satisfied with such an answer, he cabled the King for guidance. King George V replied simply, “Pray about it.” Gathering his staff together, General Allenby followed the King’s counsel.
"This takes us to the morning of Saturday, December 8, 1917. The British chaplains that morning led the troops in prayer. The first lesson from Morning Prayer on that day was from Isaiah chapter 31. The very prophecy that was to be fulfilled on that day was found in that lesson: “For thus hath the LORD spoken unto me, Like as the lion and the young lion roaring on his prey, when a multitude of shepherds is called forth against him, he will not be afraid of their voice, nor abase himself for the noise of them: so shall the LORD of hosts come down to fight for mount Zion, and for the hill thereof. As birds flying, so will the LORD of hosts defend Jerusalem; defending also He will deliver it, and passing over He will preserve it” (Is. 31:4-5). That day, December 8, 1917, was also the Feast of Hanukkah, commemorating an earlier deliverance of Jerusalem by Judah Maccabee two centuries before Christ.
"By this time the Royal Flying Corps had complete air supremacy over Palestine. That morning General Allenby ordered British planes to make reconnaissance flights over Jerusalem and to drop leaflets calling upon the Turkish garrison to surrender but were directed not to strafe or bomb the Holy City. With all of the British air activity, panic broke out among the garrison who had no air support to speak of, and the Turkish officers could not get the situation under control. That night Izzet Bey the governor of Jerusalem smashed all of the equipment in the telegraph office and wrote a letter of surrender. At 2:00 AM, on December 9th, the Turkish garrison began leaving through the Jaffa Gate. By 7:00 AM the last of the Turkish soldiers were passing through St. Stephen’s Gate making their way along the Jericho Road. Bey and a few frightened policemen came out of the city bearing a white flag and surrendered Jerusalem to General O’Shea of the 60th division. The Holy City had been delivered without a shot being fired." 1
1. We only included part of the account as some of it deals with calculations of times etc, this seems to be superfluous to me. I was only interested in the actual fulfillment of the Word. But I must give the attribution to the writer so I am including the link. Quoting it here is not meant to be an endorsement. The story of what actually happened in December 8-9, 1917 is well known and documented.